I guess I'm not very surprised. I attempted to clear my schedule this month, but that didn't happen either. I can clear a week if I really have to, but my deadlines and obligations are just too close together to clear an entire month. When I did the math in October, I determined that even if I spent every spare hour writing, I would have to produce more than 1,000 words an hour, which seemed unlikely.
I had some hope at the beginning of November. The first 8,000 words or so came pretty easily. They didn't always resemble the scenes that I've been mulling over for years now, but I had a lot of ideas, and also I had a clear and well-defined goal: getting the characters through the gateway.
Since then, it has been a struggle. I'm making it up as I go along while trying to figure out where it's going to. The ending has changed a few times, trying to plug plot holes, and connecting the dots between here and there has proven very difficult, since the characters don't really have the clues that they need. I could fix that by going back and rewriting parts, but that's not something you can do when you're trying to crank out 50,000 words in a month.
Between all of these factors, I'm officially pushing the eject button. I will continue Wild Blue; once I have a beginning-to-end plot put together, I will restart it from the beginning and continue it on a saner schedule. Meanwhile, I get the rest of my month back, including using the long weekend to do something productive, like work on Newtworks, instead of frantically adding to a crumbling structure trying to achieve a goal that's now out of my reach.